Friday, June 10, 2011

Poor Richard



Seven hundred and fifty miles from The Happy Camper is a bookstore named Poor Richard's. The name is a reference to Benjamin Franklin's series of almanacs originally published in the 1700's. Poor Richard's Bookstore in Colorado Springs is actually part of a complex of shops where you can browse through stacks of some fine used books, or drink some tea and have a pastry, or eat an exceptionally good piece of pizza. It's just down from Colorado College and I suspect that community of readers contributes to the excellent selection of books. I spent a good hour of the afternoon there and came away with six books for summer reading. Among the finds: A 2003 first paperback edition of Drinking Coffee Elsewhere by ZZ Packer. Never mind that I just cleared a bunch of books from my shelves and sold them at a garage sale. These books were necessities! If you are ever spending time in Colorado Springs, I recommend that you allot some of that time to Poor Richard. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment