Sunday, June 5, 2011

In Memory

I try to keep my Happy Camper posts cheerful. Sometimes I might be reflective or nostalgic. But for the most part, I stay away from pensive, sulky, or morose. Who can be morose in the Happy Camper?! But I have to say it: Each time I write this summer, my words are tinged with sadness.

I have dear friends who have sustained deep losses--sudden unexpected death came to some people who still had a lot of living to do. One was a friend who loved the Happy Camper as much as I do. We had big plans to take it out and have a good time with it by an Ozark river, drinking a few cold ones and playing dominoes. Another was the son of a lifelong friend--he was an early childhood playmate of my own two sons.

And the people of the nearby city of Joplin--their suffering is unimaginable.

It seems impossible to get the words right in this--things come out either understated or overstated somehow. I don't know what to do about that. But if I am privileged to stand by those who are grieving and help in whatever small way I can, I am honored to do so.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear of your losses :-( And I'm equally speechless about Joplin...it's odd and surreal when something like that happens close to home, and it feels like everybody knows somebody who was personally affected by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda, for your sympathies. It makes me appreciate those things which are cause for joy...like soon to be newborns! :)

    ReplyDelete