Friday, January 4, 2013
I have been thinking about kites lately. A friend of mine flies a big one that will--with a good gust of wind--lift him off the ground. He goes to a large field next to his house to fly it. I asked him if I could try it someday and he said, "Sure!" But I think I might break my arm or something with a kite that big.
I remember making kites out of grocery sacks when I was a kid. I don't think they ever made it off of the ground. I suspect I ran around the yard with them a few times then gave up. It was the idea of the thing more that the flying itself. I have had better luck flying kites on the beach. That is of course the best place to fly kites--sun, sand, ocean waves and the persistent tug of something at the end of a string.
I think I will make one--not to fly--although I certainly will try it when spring comes--but more to remember what it feels like to imagine the flying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment